What we have accomplished …
- Passed C-81, An Act to Ensure a Barrier-free Canada (Accessible Canada Act), ful- filling our collective promise to introduce new accessibility legislation for all Canadians.
- Ensuring that all Canadians, including persons with disabilities, receive the bene- fits that they are entitled to from the Canada Revenue Agency by reinstating the Disability Advisory Committee that was cancelled by the previous Conservative government.
- Helping communities & workplaces with construction & renovation costs in order to improve physical accessibility & safety of Canadians with disabilities through the Enabling Accessibility Fund (EAF) like the Burton Cummings Theatre or the West End Cultural Centre.
- Provided tax relief for the caregivers of a dependent spouse or child with disabilities with the Disability Tax Credit.
- Reunited more newcomer families, increasing the number of spouses, partners, & dependent children to be admitted by 12,000 & shortened processing times for spousal application from 72 to 12 months in 2016.
- Announced the Student Direct Stream (SDS) which improves the processing of student visa applications from China, India, Vietnam & the Philippines.
- Improved the processing times for citizenship from 36 months to less than 12 months.
- Ensured that all Canadians – including dual citizens are treated equally once again by passing Bill C-6, a law that repeals unfair provisions from Conservative Stephen Harper’s Citizenship Act that created two-tiered citizenship.