What we have accomplished …
- Negotiated Canada’s first-ever national climate plan with provinces & territories in December 2016, which is a plan to meet or exceed our Paris Agreement commitment. This has a price on pollution!
- Launched the $1.4 billion Low Carbon Economy Leadership Fund to help reduce emissions in provinces & territories, particularly with investments in using energy more efficiently, which saves people & businesses money.
- Phasing out traditional coal-fired power by 2030 with an ambitious goal of attaining 90% of electricity generation from clean sources by 2030.
- Banned microbeads, a major source of plastic pollution & threat to aquatic life.
- Achieved our ambitious goal of protecting 5% of marine & coastal areas. It is already 7.9% & going to 10% by 2020.
- Being the model for sustainability with Greening Government – we are on track to achieve our plan to reduce the government’s own greenhouse gas emissions by 40% by 2030 & by 80% by 2050.
- Adding 1,200 green jobs for young people in science, technology, engineering, & mathematics (STEM) in the natural resource sectors – that is 10 times more opportunities in the Science Technology Internship Program.