We implemented Canada’s First National Housing Strategy. (https://www.placetocallhome.ca/) The strategy will remove 530,000 families from housing need, cut chronic homelessness by 50% & change the face of housing in Canada forever. It is a 10 year $40 Billion dollar program. We had challenges with the Manitoba Conservative government in getting matching spending on social housing. Let’s work together. We finally had success in June 2019 with an agreement of $225 million in funding with the province for a total of $450 million. To date we have made federal investments in Winnipeg Centre of $108,943,462 for social housing. The largest spending by the federal government in Canadian history into Winnipeg Centre.
For the Social Housing projects in Winnipeg Centre we have over 50 projects with more on the way.
- Starting on September 2, 2019, the new First-Time Home Buyer Incentive will help families in homeownership by reducing monthly mortgage payments. The federal government will assume 10% of the mortgage & equity in homes.
- $50 million for End Homelessness Winnipeg to reduce chronic homelessness by 50%.
- Federal funds to flow for homelessness prevention in Winnipeg
- $1.05 million for Old Grace Housing Co-Op, a direct grant of $30,884 per affordable housing unit.
- $1 million for Siloam Mission for their new kitchen and much larger eating facilities.
- $1.38 million for Salvation Army for renovations & environment retrofits.
- After the loss of Urgent Care, we are working with Misericordia Health Centre on a 97 unit affordable assisted living centre which received approval for a detailed plan submission.
- Working with Main Street Project to ensure that they receive funding to better serve our most vulnerable homeless & fellow citizens.
- Funding announcement of the Arts District Project by U of Winnipeg Community Renewal Corp, a 14-storey building with 119 units. Total Federal funding of $26.16 million.
- Funding of $25.6 million for West Broadway Commons – All Saints Anglican Church for 110 social housing unit at 175 Colony (announced Aug 7th 2019)