- The New Canada Child Benefit has helped lift more than half a million people – including 300,000 children – out of poverty.
- I fought to ensure that families on social assistance would not have a claw-back by the province.
- Twice increased Baby Bonus (CCB) by inflation rate.
Since 2015, we have the Lowest Rate of Child Poverty in Canadian History.
- In 2015 we introduced the new Canada Child Benefit that is helping nine out of 10 families receive more money every month for groceries, school supplies, & extracurriculars. In Winnipeg Centre 15,710 children receive this income based benefit. 300,000 children across Canada have been lifted out of poverty. We have the lowest levels of child poverty since measurements started.
- Boosted the Canada Child Benefit so that it keeps pace with the rising costs of living by making annual increases starting July 2018 – two years ahead of schedule. For a single parent making $35,000, a strengthened CCB will mean $560 more in the 2019-2020 benefit year, tax-free.